Tuesday, August 2, 2011

LOL, OMG, ROFL


There is something that has bothered me for a long time and I'm dying to get it off my chest. I have a pet peeve with the overuse of "lol". My theory of its popularity is that people don't know how to end a sentence. All the grammar that we have learned has been tossed out the door and replaced with internet slang. As a result, they use lol instead of a period.

Much too often, I see status updates such as, "Waiting for my drink at Starbucks lol" or "I'm engaged!!! lol" How does waiting for a latte or committing your life to someone warrant laughing out loud? That doesn't make me laugh, not even chuckle or guffaw.

If you are guilty of this, please stop attaching that phrase to updates that are not lol-worthy. I will get off my soap box now.



2 comments:

  1. LOL! just kidding... I get what ya mean. I am addicted to doing the ... and also the over use of exclamation points. Jer always makes fun of me! But I've never seen people use it as a period. Hmmm... see there I go again!!!!!!!!!!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I'm guilty of the...., too. It tends to fall in line with the way I talk. I'll say something then leave a pause (...) and let someone else fill in the blanks. I'll need to work on later. :) Yeah, I also overuse the happy face, but one thing at a time people!

    ReplyDelete