Monday, June 28, 2010

Battle of the Uninvited Bedfellow

I am in a battle; a knock down, drag out battle. The casualties are many. The opposition cannot be underestimated. Yes, I have been engaged in hand to hand combat with my almost two year old, Gavin. He has mastered the art of getting out of his crib. As a result, he visits us in the middle of the night. One night, he came into our room 8 times! Oh yeah, and the crying; I can't tell you how pleasant that is. We have tasted victory when Gavin stayed in his bed all night. However, we have also experienced defeat when we woke up and found him nestled in between us. He's a sneaky lil stinker.

I've looked for solutions online. The worst advice I read was that a family put a huge mattress in the baby's room and slept on that so that the baby would stay in his bed. Hmmmmm....I'm going to pass on that precious gem of advice. The best suggestion I've read was to stay consistent and patient. Every time he comes in our room, we quickly bring him back to his bed. Yet after three weeks of not getting a full night's sleep, my patience is wearing thin.

Somebody, anybody, everybody help! I am reaching out for good suggestions to win this war.

4 comments:

  1. Sleep... What's that?! I dream of the day I get a full nights rest without the interruptions of, "God knows" what else. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I am so sorry! We are dealing with that with our 3 year old, but slightly differently! Our daughter gets night terrors...we literally get jolted out of our sleep because she screams and nearly wakes the whole house! Here's to praying she outgrows this quickly...we even pray over her and her room every night!
    It's no fun to get no sleep! I can't offer much help except to say that I think what you are already doing is good. If I have learned ANYTHING from watching Super Nanny a few times, it's that consistency is key!!! . He'll eventually get it. Sorry girly! I love reading your posts though...you have such a way with words. You should write a book!

    Blessings on you both as you drink EXTRA coffee these days!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Jen. AND, my own experience is this: Just as soon as your patience wears thin and you're going to die, the kid gets it. Go figure. One more suggestion: trust what you are hearing God say to you on this even more than what your research pulls up. He knows the kid, and He knows what's causing it, & everytime I've done this, God's ideas always work--even though they may be different for each of my kids.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Previous comment was Kelly Sapp, NOT Ethan. He has no children. :)

    ReplyDelete