Sunday, June 6, 2010

Skinny Jeans

There comes a point, in every child's life, when mom stops making the decisions on what they wear. This journey has begun for me. For weeks, Bryce begged for a pair of skinny jeans. Skinny jeans? That's so emo! I had vetoed the idea until I overheard him saying to his cousin that he's the only kid in school without them. I remember being that girl who was about a step (and then some) behind everyone in fashion. While the everyone in my grade was wearing Air Jordans and pegging their pants, I wore knockoff Keds with my Lee Jeans (oh yeah, don't forget the neon laces...nice). What Bryce said bothered me enough that I realized that I did not want him to walk through those same insecurities.

I took him shopping and we found the perfect pair. They were his reward for making straight A's (again). While some boys wear new suits for Easter Sunday, my boy wore his skinny jeans with a tie and high tops. Bryce looked so handsome. It was like gazing upon the long lost Asian member of the Jonas Brothers.

This is just the beginning of letting go and allowing the kids to make their own decisions. Today it's skinny jeans, tomorrow it will be which college to attend or which girl to marry. Whether I like it or not, my boys are growing up. We raise our kids to think for themselves so that they can step into who they are supposed to be. It is great in theory, but bittersweet in action.

4 comments:

  1. I saw him that sunday and he looked super cute in them! Way to go momma! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linaya, I always love your take on life. Previous post deleted because I accidently called you Laine. :)

    ReplyDelete