Monday, March 14, 2011

Get Your Clip On!

My latest hobby has been saving money. As a result, I have turned to coupons. After watching Extreme Couponing on TLC, both Ryan and I caught the bug for savings. However, I want to know how their bill is only $7.00 for five carts of groceries. I guess I need to learn to walk before I can run because that kind of savings takes time to acquire. With the help of my coupon gurus, I am slowly understanding this strange mystery.

Last week, I decided to go to 3 stores: Food Source, Rite Aid, and CVS. After meticulously combing through my collection of Sunday paper coupons, I was armed and ready. Combining coupons with store specials, I saved:
  • Food Source: $22.09
  • CVS: $15.86
  • Rite Aid: $5.18
I saved $43.13. Doing the math, I saved 32% on my total bill through coupons and deal hunting.

Sounds good, right? Well, by the time I figured out which place had the cheapest toothbrush and which coupon to use for that, I was exhausted. After all of the cross comparison shopping, I think I could feel my brain oozing out of my ears. Don't get me wrong, I love saving money, but that took some serious finagaling.

I have a couple thoughts for the REALLY EXTREME couponers:
1. With all the gas used on running to different stores, how much are you actually saving?
2. Stockpiling- Is it really necessary to buy 75 bottles of handsoap, even if there only $0.19 each? I wash my hands a lot, but dang, that's excessive.
3. Okay, so you bought 100 boxes of pasta for virtually free. Now you have to go to Home Depot and buy shelving to house all that stuff. Not to mention, what if you get rats from not moving through your food fast enough? That's another expense.

Let me hear your thoughts on coupons, tips on saving, favorite coupon sites, etc.

2 comments:

  1. I love it!! You actually made me laugh out loud!! Thanks for articulating the thoughts that totally run through my head about this topic...it made my day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog Sis! I enjoyed reading it!

    ReplyDelete