Monday, May 17, 2010

I'm Not A Real Doctor, I Just Play One On TV

Greetings, I am Dr. Mom, the boo-boo kisser. Instead of diagnosing problems with science, I use good old common sense. My apothecary consists of hugs and kisses, not medicine. If that is not enough to satisfy the patient, I prescribe a round of tickles and 30 cc’s of milk.

Like a doctor, the work of a mom is never finished. Once a patient is treated, another one comes forward in need of help. New ailments roll in everyday, and as Dr. Mom, I have to find a way to treat it.

The relationship between a doctor and patient is similar to a parent and child. Both need each other. A mom needs someone to nurture, instruct, and love. A child yearns to be cared for, disciplined, and poured into. This cycle of give and take provides life and security to both parties.

The doctor and patient relationship also draws the same parallels in our relationship with the Lord. Sometimes, our doctor gives us advice that we don’t want to hear or disciplines us when we make health choices that could be detrimental. As a patient, we can either ignore or take heed of his/her advice. In Proverbs 4: 20-22, God (the Great Physician) says to us, “My son, pay attention to what I say; listen closely to my words. Do not let them out of your sight, keep them within your heart; for they are life to those who find them and health to a man’s whole body".  I can only provide a temporary relief if my child is hurting.  However, true health and vitality is found in Him alone.

God speaks to us and offers advice for our own good.  Isn’t it time that we started listening?

1 comment: